Tuesday 20 March 2012

Call of Duty: Christian Warfare 3

In last week's lecture we focussed on the topic of violence, gaming, and popular culture. The complexity of the intersection between Christianity, violence, and popular culture in video gaming was discussed as there have been groups of people who have held differing views on the subject. There have been groups who have called for the ban of video games, those who have promoted the replication of video games, and other groups who regard video games as a way of enticing gamers or youth into churches.

3 months ago, when I asked my 6-year old soccer players whom I coach on weekends what they got from Santa, the major answers were: Playstation, Xbox, Call of Duty 3, Battlefield, and Gears of War 3. It was at that moment that I was struck with a startling realization. I mean, I had expected answers such as: a new pair of socks, new hockey sticks or a set of hockey skates, or even a Maple Leafs jersey (a far stretch) because those were some of the gifts I had received at a young age - the socks were from my grandmother. What is startling is the fact that children as young as 6 years of age are already being exposed to the violence and brutality depicted in these games. I noticed as well that on the package of the actual game Call of Duty, it was rated as "M" for mature. Upon further inspection, I found that games that were rated "M" contained content that was suitable for persons ages 17 and older. These types of games contained 'intense violence, blood and gore'. If these rules and regulations were actually enforced, that would mean that my players would have to wait another 11 years to be able to play this game. Given the argument that violent video games cause for an increase tendency towards violence in reality, this situation becomes very problematic. Do we really want to expose young children to violence, brutality, and war at such a young age? The case can be made that not only are other media resources exposing children to the 'horrors' of this world but also that at some point we all have to face reality.

I also believe that video games that are themselves war-type games also undermine the reality of war and the fact that once you are killed, there are no extra lives or restart buttons. Children as young as 6 are playing within the comfort of their own home, not afraid of a grenade, a sniper on top of a roof, or an enemy encroaching from behind. It is just a game.

That being said, video games, such as Modern Warfare 3, do serve as a source for great entertainment. When regarded solely from an entertainment perspective, the sales of this particular game speaks volumes.








1 comment:

  1. Hi! I know I'm late, but here's my response:

    http://xtyandpc.blogspot.ca/2012/04/video-gaming-its-addictiveness-and.html

    ReplyDelete